To make authentic graham crackers you should use graham flour. The trick there would be to find graham flour. Seriously, it's super hard. Whole wheat pastry flour will make a good substitute. All that being said, this was a great recipe and I just used regular run of the mill all-purpose flour.
Start out with 7 tablespoons of butter, frozen if you have a large food processor, or chilled if you don't.
Mix flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
If you've got a food processor you could just pulse that, and then throw in the butter, and continue to pulse until you've got a coarse mixture.
If you don't have a gigantic food processor, cut the butter into the mixture using your favorite method (knives, fingers, forks, pastry cutter, but please don't mix and match).
In a separate bowl, mix honey, milk and vanilla extract. It will look a little gross.
Add the mixture to the dough, and pulse or mix until it comes together. Form it into a disk and chill.
You may have to adjust the amounts (given below) to get the right consistency. My dough was a little on the dry side, but worked out in the end.
Mix up some cinnamon sugar for a topping.
Halve the dough and roll it out to about 1/8" thick, and cut it into rectangles.
If you want to be authentic, you'd cut all the way through for some, and just go partly through others. This, it turns out, is a lot of work, and they don't always hold together when you try to take them off the counter top.
Place the soon-to-be crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with as much topping as you like, and bake for about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Once then come out, let them cool off, then sandwich some of last week's marshmallow and some chocolate between your homemade graham crackers.
2.5 cups graham, whole wheat pastry, or all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
7 tablespoons butter, cubed and chilled or frozen
1/3 cup honey
5 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of sugar (for the topping)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (also for the topping)
1. Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and brown sugar (in a bowl or food processor)
2. Add the butter until you've got a coarse mixture (again, do it in a bowl or food processor)
3. In a separate bowl, mix the honey, milk, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry (you guessed it, in a bowl or food processor)
5. Mix the dough until it comes together and form into a disk and chill.
6. Preheat the oven to 350.
7. Split the dough in two, and roll it out to 1/8" thick. Cut the crackers into the desired shape.
8. Place on parchment paper, top with the cinnamon sugar mixture and bake for 20 minutes.