The last time I tried to do tater tots, I blew it. Not a few weeks after I posted my failed recipe, Kenji Lopez-Alt posted his guide to making tater tots. It is from that guide that I draw this successful recipe.
Peel a couple of pounds of potatoes.
Chop the potatoes into medium sized chunks, and rinse to get rid of the extra starch.
Fry up these for about 4 minutes, or until they just get golden.
Throw the fried potatoes into a food processor to get a very fine chop.
Add a little sugar, corn starch, salt, pepper, and seasonings of your choice (maybe even bacon), and toss.
Form into tots using your hands, and fry for another 4 minutes. Behold the glory.
2 pounds of potatoes, russet or other good frying potatoes
1 tablespoon of corn starch
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Peel and chop the potatoes into large chunks
2. Fry the potatoes for about 4 minutes, or until they're just golden
3. Throw the potatoes in a food processor batches. Chopping finely.
4. Season with salt, pepper, and add corn starch as a binder.
5. Form the potatoes into tots.
6. Fry for another 4 minutes, or until golden and crispy.